Thursday, January 17, 2013

pop gets better... I'm astonished...

So I was looking over a list of "the best" new material of the year over at one of my very favorite blogs... Popdose... (incidentally, do check this out... always on top of damn near everything...) when I came upon something that has just dominated my day...

Charli xcx is some kind of English synth pop artist... I really haven't been able to pigeonhole her yet, to my delight. Most pop artists show their hand right off... they're the strong type. They're the weepy type. They're the party type. They're the retro type. They'rhe the avant-garde type. They're the giggly-empty-headed type. They're the hook driven rock type. They're the warbling crooning type. They're the... you get the point.

This track, Valentine, started... well, to be honest, I thought the opening was a bit weak at first... clunky and overly simplistic... but her vocals leap in and change that fast... tumbling over each other like she's rushing to get them all out... she's got a fantastic way of singing that is reminiscent of Robert Smith at his best. It's sweet, warm, genuine, modest... but purposeful and fierce in its own way... It evokes a sort of feeling of the best of the 80's brat pack era, but remade for today in a way that blows me away. If Molly Ringwald starred in a movie today, you could put this in it.

I haven't yet explored her other stuff, but notice that at her website charlixcxmusic.com you can register to download a mix tape... I'm headed there in just a second...

No comments:

Post a Comment