Sunday, January 20, 2013

More of this... my apologies....(ha ha ha)

Hey, I don't think I've done 2 consecutive posts with the same artist in mind, but whatever... I'm holed up after a small medical procedure, got some pain meds, and I'm just following youtube videos from one to the other... so far today I've watched the movie "joysticks" as part of a retro 80's video game binge brought on by the dungeons and dragons module "Tomb of Horrors...". Gamers will appreciate that... The movie sucked, but brought me to some other period gems....
What does this have to do with my last post? Balls if I know, other than that I got bored and started watching a Grimes video that came up under a search for something obscure (totally can't remember now what I may have been looking for...), and at the end of that video (I'll do a post on Grimes soon enough), one of the suggestions was for the Charli xcx video "You (ha ha ha)".
Last post I had mentioned that I was gonna go over to her site, Charlixcxmusic.com, and download the free mixtapes. I did, and there are some interesting tracks there, but none I was going to post about.... This You video is the main content on her site at the moment, and I hadn't watched it the time I downloaded the mixes. I admit that it may be the painkillers, but it's been stuck in my head since I watched it a few hours ago.
This is a great track for a few reasons. First, it is so different from the other track that I had enjoyed so much... that's important because I love artists who can change their stripes fast and give us more than 1 trick.  Second, I dig the "evil offspring of the spice girls and pink" type of product Charli's selling. It kind of reminds me of the electro scene a few years back giving us greats like Robyn and Ms. Kitten, but jazzed back up again.  Third, the sound is very pop, but noisy and avant-garde and even epic all at the same time. Like a mix of Portishead, MIA, and Depeche Mode. Maybe just a sprinkling of Bjork.
Anyway, check out the video. What do you think? Semi agressive styled, strong-female, party type of music. Stylized video with a fun aesthetic. Energetic but emotive, clearly not unintelligent by nature. Personally, I would rather see more pop of this variety rather than a bunch of divas with songs featuring r&b and rap stars talking about their phones and other similar fluffy content... this has been currency in the pop world too long. I'll be mentioning the better stuff as I see it come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment